Since we have a good frame work for looking for a church based primarily out the Bible there are some practical steps to attending a church. Whether you have been out of a church for a while or simply looking for a new one we have should have motivation to get into church. Hebrews 10 says “let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.” This seems to me a good motivator that assurance in part comes with the desire and consistence of attending church.
- Look to the internet. A lot churches have a website. Find out what they teach from a doctrinal statement if they have one posted. This really should be what matters to us the most. What do they believe about the Bible. This should come before anything else.
- Looking through the phone book. Although I think this is becoming an obsolete to some level there are still great methods to finding a good church.
- Talking with the pastor about things that matter.
- Attend a service Sunday and a mid week. I say this because then you can get an idea of the church if it isn’t apparent during the first visit.
- While attending have some conversations with people. Are people looking to be holy and serve God? Simply put that the church is trying to obey God’s commandments.
Questions to Ask Before Visiting
That is if it is possible to ask either by phone, email or person. Now you may not have the opportunity to do so but you can find out a lot about the church by talking to the Pastor.
- What is he teaching on this week?
- How would he tell someone to go to heaven. The pastor should be the person who can describe this the best.
- Is everyone going to heaven? If he gives room for people who don’t believe in Jesus Christ’s only work then find another church.
- Does he believe in a literal creation? Now there is a lot that can be said about this but Hebrews 11:3 tells us that “By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. We give up ground on Genesis then what other areas are we going to give up.
- What is his personal salvation? I think this is just important because it falls in line with the previous about who is going to heaven. I think he should have a good idea about his own conversion. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 1 Timothy 1:15.
I live in Beaverton Oregon and attend Beaverton Grace Bible Church. If you live in Oregon and are looking for a church that is seeking to learn God’s word and obey his commandments then come visit the church. If you have questions feel free to email me here.
More Help on Finding a good church
Finding a church can be difficult. You likely are looking for people you can connect with and that the sermon and preach can convey and explain the Bible well. Add to the mix an understanding of what the Bible says a church should be then it gets more difficult. Here I want to cover briefly some Scriptures about the Church. Really these could be what helps to define what is really a good church as opposed to what we think as a good church.
Speaking of Pastoral Ministry.
- For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God. Acts 20:27.
- And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ (Ephesians 4:11-13)
- Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. 3 Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. (Acts 6:2-3)
- And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck, of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
- Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering eaching. 2 Timothy 4:2
In Regards to Worship
- speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 5:19-20)
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16.
- Then David and all the house of Israel played music before the LORD on all kinds of instruments of fir wood, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on sistrums, and on cymbals. 2 Samuel 6:5) This is to say that instruments are allowed even if we have bias against or for certain kinds. A few other verses- 1 Chronicles 13:8, Psalm 150.
- [God] has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior Titus 1:3 The worship service should have preaching.
- Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. 1 Corinthians 16:1-2. A good reason for church on Sunday and a tithe to take place.
Order in The Church
- How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.
Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached? 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.Let all things be done decently and in order. 1 Corinthians 14:26-40. Really this could be the whole chapter.
- But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things—that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.
Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.
Exhort bondservants to be obedient to their own masters, to be well pleasing in all things, not answering back, 10 not pilfering, but showing all good fidelity, that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.
Although this is a limited list of texts regarding church it is still a good list of scriptures. If you feel that there are some that are more essential feel free to point them out and I may yet add them to the list. Now that we have a mild list of verse towards what to look for in a church we can see how we go about finding a good church.